Bartlett Hall at the University of Chicago
ARCHITECT: Bruner/Cott & Associates, Inc.
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
Built in 1901 and originally conceived as the United States Olympic Team training facility for men, the University transformed the 64,300 sq. ft. structure into a student dining commons and collegiate hall while maintaining the look and feel of the original structure. While bringing the entire building up to code, alterations included lowering the basement floor nearly 30 feet to accommodate 500 tons of HVAC equipment and adding a loading dock and other infrastructure improvements that are concealed or seamlessly blended within the historic fabric of the building. A suspended running track, originally scheduled for demolition because a previous engineering study deemed it structurally inadequate, was transformed into an observation deck and lounge overlooking the dining hall below.
- Midwest Construction: Restoration Project of the Year 2002